Please run through the order checklist on our homepage before you order to confirm your sliding door frame and lock compatibility (i.e., common standard sliding door heights and locks).
What is the Base Model Pet Door?
This is our supreme quality Pet Door for Sliding Glass Doors. You can use the base model pet door insert on its own (e.g., in the laundry) or with a Screen Door Adapter fitted (i.e., for security, use of screen door).
How is the Base Model different to the PatioLockTM model?
Unlike the PatioLockTM model, the Base Model does NOT have its own locks to lock on to the existing glass door lock mechanisms. So another method to secure the glass door is needed, which tends to involve some degree of screwing, drilling, cutting, handy skills, time, hardware, inconvenience, and so on. Options for locking the base model set up are outlined below in the next section.
How do you lock the glass door when you buy our Base Model pet door for sliding doors?
1. ADD the Screen Door Adapter at checkout. The Screen Door Adapter is needed to transfer the existing lock catch plate for the glass door from the wall frame on to the adapter. This process will lock the glass door to the pet door but it requires screwing, drilling, handy skills, about 2-3 hours to install (refer to the picture below for reference of transferring locks on to the adapter). You will be leaving screw holes in the sliding door frame and pet door, so not a good option for renters or home owners who do not want to leave holes in their frames. Note the Screen Door Adapter is also needed if you want to use your fly/security door (if you have one).
2. Rod in track (included): A rod can be cut and placed in the floor track behind the sliding door (cutting required) to wedge the sliding door against the pet door. This simple yet crude option may suit those putting a pet door in the laundry and/or provides a way to wedge the glass door into a Screen Door Adapter without screwing holes (rather than transferring lock mechanisms).
3. A patio bolt: This is a key operated pin that can be fitted to the sliding glass door frame to pin it against the pet door. However, drilling and screwing and handy skills are required to fit this and they cost about $15-20 each from hardwares.
Transferring locks onto the dog door for sliding door with a screen door adapter accessory:
The video below is 9-mins long (sorry!) but explains the difference between the Base Model and the PatioLockTM model in detail:
Should I buy the PatiolockTM or Base model dog door for sliding doors?
This depends on your individual needs and circumstances.
The Base Model is a good fit for the Home Owner AND Handy-skilled OR those on a Budget...If you are a home owner and have access to someone who is handy and has tools and are not fussed about screwing holes and cutting to size then the base model pet door is a good choice as it is cheaper and can achieve security for both the glass door and screen/security door. Please note you need to buy a screen door adapter if you want to transfer locks for the glass door for lock alignment, even if you don't have or care about your screen door. The base model pet door insert is also a great option for those on a tight budget because you can simply insert the pet door panel in the sliding door frame and then cut the rod (included with every pet door) to wedge the glass door against the pet door. Simple yet effective but also you are getting a premium temporary pet door due to factory direct pricing.
PatiolockTM model is the most Versatile & Convenient Choice...The patent pending PatioLockTM system with with our patented Adjustable Screen Door Adapter and Lock kit to suit your sliding door locks is a popular choice for many reasons:
- No screw holes left in your sliding door frame or pet door insert frame/adapter
- No handy skills are required
- No tools are needed except for a rubber mallet to fit the screen door adapter ($3 from hard wares)
- Cheaper if you are not handy as no handyman costs
- It can be reused if/when you move
- It is easy to install and remove (e.g., holidays, entertaining)
- Great for renters
- Great for home owners who are not handy or are time poor but want security!
What Size flaps are there?
Click here for a link to flap sizes.
PLEASE NOTE XL is only available in BLACK and is on BACK ORDER until mid Sept 2022.
What colours can I choose from?
*Custom colours no longer available.
PLEASE NOTE XL is only available in BLACK and is on BACK ORDER until mid-September 2022.
Checklist before you order:
Please refer to the home page for the checklist steps to run through to before placing your order. Ignore the step about the lock compatibility if you are buying the base model.
Please note a flat Australia-wide shipping fee is not possible for the pet doors because they are over 1.2m long and thus incur manual handling and over-size item fees in addition to the actual freight charges and domestic delivery surcharges and fuel levy surcharges, etc. Most couriers including Australia Post can not be used due to the over 1.2m issue.
So, in order to streamline checkout for most, there are a few common zones to choose from at checkout that cover most of the highly populated areas along the east coast and Perth metro.
If you live in more rural areas then please select the first option for $1. We will then email you an invoice based on our cost to your address depending on the courier used.
If you prefer, you can email before ordering for a freight quote.
Unfortunately, we have to use multiple couriers depending on location and warehouse origin so it is not possible to use an accurate freight calculator at checkout. The zone model is the best system we can come up with thus far to cover most of the populated areas.
Free pet access means you can SLEEP at night uninterrupted!
ORDER a Base Model Now by clicking below - YOUR FREEDOM AWAITS
We make tough cyclone-rated Pet Door Inserts to suit the harsh Australian environment and thus can easily back our product 100%.
Our pet doors and accessories are over-engineered to ensure a very long warranty can be offered to you for your peace of mind.
Easy to Install. Received in 2 days of purchase. The only thing that I would change about this product is the dog door. I wish that it was a soft door. Other than that this product is excellent.
Quality product and easy to fit. Exactly as described by Modern Pet Doors
It is a great product. I am not handy but with a bit of help i managed to install the door. A couple of extra photos to help with placement of the adapter would be useful.
Excellent product and high quality. Fitting is a bit of a challenge but when done it works great.
The service was fantastic and friendly and delivery very quick. Very well packaged (took ages to remove the protective film!!) and impressive, solid item. I've installed to wooden door which was not square so just used some of the included seal to adjust and added a couple of extra screws to make super secure. (ONLY because my old wooden frame needed it). I ordered XL for my Greyhound and he used it within 10 minutes (with treats and encouragement). I could have gone a size down in hindsight. Highly recommend this product after really researching lots of options. Well done to ModernPetDoors.
Have had our pup's for 3 days they worked out the door in about 8 hours now just come and go as they need to
Upon purchasing the door we, our dog has fallen in love with it. Constantly walking in and out. We're so happy that he's using it within the space of only an hour of teaching him. Finally we don't have to keep opening and closing the door for him
Pet door as purchased from Modern Pet Doors easy installation and very good quality materials used.Packaging was excellent so no damage.Would highly recommend this product.
Great item at a great price. Delivery was also very quick. thanks
It's fantastic! Really easy to work out how to put it in and fit it, but the instructions on how to install the things that came with it (e.g. weather strip and foam strip) were not very clear so I'm not sure if it's weatherproofed as well as it could be because I don't think I used those pieces how they were meant to be used. The instruction book for these weatherproofing foam and rubber strip could be clearer or could have a clear link to a video that explains it better. Great quality product, really happy with it.