Please run through the order checklist on our homepage before you order to confirm your sliding door frame and lock compatibility (i.e., common standard sliding door heights and locks).
What is the Base Model Pet Door?
This is our supreme quality Pet Door for Sliding Glass Doors. You can use the base model pet door insert on its own (e.g., in the laundry) or with a Screen Door Adapter fitted (i.e., for security, use of screen door).
How is the Base Model different to the PatioLockTM model?
Unlike the PatioLockTM model, the Base Model does NOT have its own locks to lock on to the existing glass door lock mechanisms. So another method to secure the glass door is needed, which tends to involve some degree of screwing, drilling, cutting, handy skills, time, hardware, inconvenience, and so on. Options for locking the base model set up are outlined below in the next section.
How do you lock the glass door when you buy our Base Model pet door for sliding doors?
1. ADD the Screen Door Adapter at checkout. The Screen Door Adapter is needed to transfer the existing lock catch plate for the glass door from the wall frame on to the adapter. This process will lock the glass door to the pet door but it requires screwing, drilling, handy skills, about 2-3 hours to install (refer to the picture below for reference of transferring locks on to the adapter). You will be leaving screw holes in the sliding door frame and pet door, so not a good option for renters or home owners who do not want to leave holes in their frames. Note the Screen Door Adapter is also needed if you want to use your fly/security door (if you have one).
2. Rod in track (included): A rod can be cut and placed in the floor track behind the sliding door (cutting required) to wedge the sliding door against the pet door. This simple yet crude option may suit those putting a pet door in the laundry and/or provides a way to wedge the glass door into a Screen Door Adapter without screwing holes (rather than transferring lock mechanisms).
3. A patio bolt: This is a key operated pin that can be fitted to the sliding glass door frame to pin it against the pet door. However, drilling and screwing and handy skills are required to fit this and they cost about $15-20 each from hardwares.
Transferring locks onto the dog door for sliding door with a screen door adapter accessory:
The video below is 9-mins long (sorry!) but explains the difference between the Base Model and the PatioLockTM model in detail:
Should I buy the PatiolockTM or Base model dog door for sliding doors?
This depends on your individual needs and circumstances.
The Base Model is a good fit for the Home Owner AND Handy-skilled OR those on a Budget...If you are a home owner and have access to someone who is handy and has tools and are not fussed about screwing holes and cutting to size then the base model pet door is a good choice as it is cheaper and can achieve security for both the glass door and screen/security door. Please note you need to buy a screen door adapter if you want to transfer locks for the glass door for lock alignment, even if you don't have or care about your screen door. The base model pet door insert is also a great option for those on a tight budget because you can simply insert the pet door panel in the sliding door frame and then cut the rod (included with every pet door) to wedge the glass door against the pet door. Simple yet effective but also you are getting a premium temporary pet door due to factory direct pricing.
PatiolockTM model is the most Versatile & Convenient Choice...The patent pending PatioLockTM system with with our patented Adjustable Screen Door Adapter and Lock kit to suit your sliding door locks is a popular choice for many reasons:
- No screw holes left in your sliding door frame or pet door insert frame/adapter
- No handy skills are required
- No tools are needed except for a rubber mallet to fit the screen door adapter ($3 from hard wares)
- Cheaper if you are not handy as no handyman costs
- It can be reused if/when you move
- It is easy to install and remove (e.g., holidays, entertaining)
- Great for renters
- Great for home owners who are not handy or are time poor but want security!
What Size flaps are there?
Click here for a link to flap sizes.
What colours can I choose from?
*Custom colours no longer available.
Checklist before you order:
Please refer to the home page for the checklist steps to run through to before placing your order. Ignore the step about the lock compatibility if you are buying the base model.
Free pet access means you can SLEEP at night uninterrupted!
ORDER a Base Model Now by clicking below - YOUR FREEDOM AWAITS
We make tough cyclone-rated Pet Door Inserts to suit the harsh Australian environment and thus can easily back our product 100%.
Our pet doors and accessories are over-engineered to ensure a very long warranty can be offered to you for your peace of mind.
Excellent product, very happy with the door.
The product is excellent and seems to fit almost any door. It was delivered quickly.
I can’t believe the Bunnings ablution cost more than this. I’m a tradesman, the build quality on this is outstanding. The packaging well thought out. Fantastic product... don’t buy the Bunnings POS.
Easy to fit, looks good, easy to remove
Door arrived in record time. It looks fantastic and performs perfectly. Highly recommended to several friends already
Purchased pet door easy online site for sizes and ordering and instructions. Delivered in exceptionally quick time and installed in 40mins with screen door adaptor. Best product at the moment appears very structurally strong and robust, and should last many years. Very very happy with product.product exceeds expectations very impressed highly recommend.
This is my second pet door. The first was for my large dog who has passed. Now i have a small dog and i downsized. These doors are great quality and i feel so much happier knowing my dog has access to outside when i'm not home. Easy to install.
Wonderful product, my second one now. Great service, great del to country region NSW. No more getting up in the middle of the night to let the dog out.
Great purchase after searching the web for a similar product in my area to no avail until I found Modern Pet Doors. Easy to install and only one modification after instal was to add some frost privacy sheet to the top half of the door. Highly recommend this product. Thanks Julian
Bought this door, watched video and installed myself. Very easy to do and the finished product looks great. Very happy with it. Have already recommended it to friends. Very good quality too.